How to make an amazing bowl of homemade Chili you ask?
You’ve certainly come to the right place.
- 2 Tbls butter
- 1 Red bell pepper, diced
- 1 Can Rotella diced tomatoes with chilis
- 2 Cans Rotella diced green chilis
- 2 Large Vidalia onions, chopped
- 1 Head garlic (yes, the entire head), minced
- 2 Lbs ground beef (85% lean)
- 1 Lb bulk Italian sausage (hot or sweet)
- Roasted Garlic & Herb Seasoning
- 2 Tsp onion powder
- 2 Tsp garlic powder
- 3 Tbls chili powder
- 2 Tsp paprika
- 2 Tsp ground cumin
- 2 Tsp ground coriander
- 2 Tsp kosher salt
- 2 Tsp black pepper
- 1 Cinnamon stick (secret ingredient)
- 2 Cups Italian tomato sauce
- 1 Cup tomato paste
- 2 Large cans black beans, rinsed
- 1 Large can red kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 Bunch green onions (scallions) thinly sliced at an angle
- 1 Cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 Cup sour cream
- In a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, brown the ground beef breaking it up as it browns.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add the butter and brown the sausage breaking it up as it browns. With a slotted spoon, add the sausage to the browned beef.
- In the same skillet, add the chopped onions to the sausage fat and sprinkle some Roasted Garlic & Herb Seasoning over the top. As they begin to cook, add the red pepper. Cook until the onions have caramelized, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Add the onion mixture to the pot of browned sausage and beef.
- Add all the spices to the pot along with the remaining ingredients except the beans.
⇒ If you prefer more spice…add more. You can add some crushed red pepper flakes for more heat and if you want your lips and mouth to be on fire, throw in some chopped Jalapeño peppers with some of the seeds…but wait until the chili has cooked at least an hour and always taste first before any addition.
- Stir to combine and let the Chili cook on low heat, covered, for about 1 1/2 hours stirring occasionally.
- At this point, remove the cinnamon stick, add the beans and continue to cook on low heat, covered, for another 30 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let the pot sit on the stove, covered.
During this last 30 minutes you can prepare the toppings in three separate bowls.
- Slice up the scallions, both green and white parts
- Shred the cheese
- Scoop the sour cream
- Ladle chili into a bowl and top with a dollop of sour cream, a sprinkle of cheese and a scattering of scallions
- Prepare Chili Dogs: using a slotted spoon, cover a gourmet hot dog nestled in a large bun and top with any or all three of the garnishes.
- Spoon over baked potato skins and garnish
- Serve with tortilla chips and garnishes
The perfect finishing touch for the adults? An ice cold Corona & lime to cool the heat of the chili.
And that’s how to make an amazing bowl of chili!
Click here to check out the great prices for amazing cookware for your kitchen.
Please let me know how you like this Chili recipe, below. I value your feedback.