This is a kicked up version of our old favorite Green Bean Casserole. Prepare this deliciously different and healthier side dish for your next family gathering and watch the smiles.
⇒ You’ll need a deep-frying thermometer which you can find at the grocery store, if you don’t already have one.
- Unsalted butter
- Canola oil
- 3/4 Cup flour
- Cayenne pepper
- 6 Large shallots, peeled and sliced into thin rings
- 1/4 Cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 Lb Cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Cup chicken stock
⇒ Click here to check out my recipe Homemade Chicken Stock .
- 1 Cup heavy cream
- 2 Lbs fresh green beans, trimmed and sliced in half
Did you know… High-fiber green beans can help you prevent weight gain. In fact, boosting fiber by 8 grams for every 1,000 calories we consume can result in losing 4 1/2 pounds. So, as our mothers always told us…eat your beans!
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and butter a 13×9 inch baking dish.
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, pour about 1″ Canola oil and heat it to 350 degrees using a deep-frying thermometer
- Meanwhile, line a cookie sheet with paper towels.
- In a small bowl or ziplock baggie, place 1/2 cup of the flour and season with a dash of S&P and a dash of cayenne pepper.
- Add the sliced shallot rings and toss to coat.
- Fry the shallots in bunches until golden and lightly crisped, about 5 minutes. Transfer to the cookie sheet using a slotted spoon. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter with 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring often until well browned, about 6-8 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and add the 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots. Stir and cook until softened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup flour and cook, constantly stirring for 1 minute. While still stirring…slowly add the chicken stock and then the cream.
- Bring to a simmer, stirring until thickened about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the green beans, season with S&P and give it a stir to mix everything together.
- Transfer to the prepared baking dish, sprinkle the fried shallots over the top and bake until the edges are bubbly and the top is browned, about 30 minutes.
I hope you enjoy this tasty vegetable side dish. As always, I welcome your comments and feedback.