Béchamel Sauce is really quite easy to prepare and this recipe is absolutely the best. The hardest part is all the stirring…but the end justifies the means. The addition of freshly grated nutmeg gives this decadent sauce a fabulous layer of flavor.
- 5 Tbls butter
- 4 Tbls flour
- 4 Cups milk
- 1 Tsp salt
- 1/2 Tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat.
- Add the flour and whisk until smooth.
- Turn the heat up to medium and cook the mixture until it turns a golden color, whisking constantly, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the milk in another saucepan until just about ready to boil.
- Add this hot milk to the butter and flour mixture a little bit at a time, whisking as you go, until very smooth.
⇒Pay attention as anytime you are cooking milk, flour and butter the mixture can burn easily.
- Bring to a gentle boil and cook 10 minutes while stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat and add a pinch of salt and 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg.
⇒ Bump it up by whisking in a generous handful of Le Gruyére and a little Parmesan.
⇒ Try adding a bit of white truffle oil to take it to a whole new level.
⇒ Use Béchamel sauce as a layer in lasagna with zucchini and Parmesan cheese.
⇒ Or use it as a base for a “knock your socks off” mac & cheese. Just add sharp American, cheddar and queso blanco cheese and maybe some leftover chicken and green onions.
As always, I look forward to your feedback and comments. Do you have a favorite recipe using Béchamel Sauce that you’d like to share? I welcome your input below.
Click here to check out this great little saucepan…perfect for your Béchamal Sauce.