Everyone loves the Cobb Salad…it’s a classic. Prepared with the freshest of ingredients, this recipe will make a deliciously light meal for any number of guests. Simple to make….delectable to look at….heavenly to eat.
- Bibb Lettuce, only the best leaves
- Romaine lettuce, sliced into chunks
- Iceberg lettuce, sliced into chunks
- Grilled chicken breasts, cut lengthwise and then into bite size pieces
- Cherry, grape or garden tomatoes, either cut in half or in chunks
- Hard boiled eggs, sliced
- Sliced Avocado
- Thinly sliced red onion or diced scallions
- Sliced cucumbers
- Blue cheese crumbles
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Cooked bacon crumbles
- Arrange the lettuces on a large platter and line up your choice of ingredients…easy as that and you’ve created a rainbow of color with fresh ingredients.
Blue Cheese Dressing, if you choose
Whisk together mayonnaise, sour cream, buttermilk and a dash of Worcestershire sauce. Add some chopped chives, blue cheese crumbles and S&P. Pour into a Mason jar, cover and let sit in the fridge for a few hours.
Or…try this delicious and creamy Bacon Buttermilk Dressing
- Crumble 4 strips of cooked bacon into pieces and place in a blender.
- Add 1/3 cup sour cream, 2 tsp mustard, 1/2 tsp chili powder, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper
- Then add the juice of 1/2 lemon and 1/2 cup buttermilk.
⇒ No buttermilk? No problem…make your own. Pout 4 1/2 tsp white vinegar or fresh lemon juice in a measuring cup. Add enough milk to make one cup total liquid. Stir and let stand for 10-15 minutes. It will start to curdle. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
- Blend all ingredients together and chill.
Prepare this appetizing platter as suggested above or get creative. Use Iceberg lettuce leaves as little vessels to hold each ingredient. Arrange on the platter in circles around the center lettuce “cup” holding the tomatoes. It will look like a giant flower. You can drizzle a little dressing over the top of the salad and serve the remaining dressing along side or serve the salad as is, with the dressing in its own serving vessel to be added as desired. Don’t forget the crumbled bacon…it adds the perfect tasty crunch.
Because of the Cobb Salad’s beautiful presentation, it’s perfect for a dinner party, your next holiday buffet or luncheon. All you have to do is increase the amount of each ingredient to accommodate the number of guests. Presentation is everything and your guests will love this.
As always, I welcome your comments and feedback. Do you have a special ingredient or addition to your own Cobb Salad?
Check out this great Rachel Ray serving platter…how good would your Cobb Salad look on this dish! It would…and I know because I have one! Click on this picture because it’s on sale at a ridiculously low price. This would also be perfect as a hostess gift with your own homemade Classic Cobb Salad on top.