The addition of a few chopped apples makes this my Best Sausage Stuffing recipe by far. It’s a perfect side to Thanksgiving dinner and, not to get carried away…but a perfect layer of flavor for the most delicious sandwich of turkey leftovers, lettuce and slathering of cranberry sauce. Yumm…that’s all you need, baby. Turn on the game, grab a beer and settle into a comfy Thanksgiving coma. Enough said.
- 1 14oz bag of cubed Herb (Sage) stuffing bread
- 2 Cups chicken broth
- 6 Tbls butter
- 1/2 Cup finely chopped parsley
- 1/2 Cup finely chopped celery
- 2 Cups chopped Vildalia onions
- 1 Lb ground Italian sausage
- 1 1/2 Cups peeled, cored and chopped apples
- 2 Cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 Tsp dried thyme
- 3/4 Cups chopped pecans, if desired
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 Pint sour cream
- 1/4 Cup red wine
- S&P to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, soak the cubed bread in the chicken broth. Set aside
- In a large skillet, brown the sausage, stirring with a wooden spoon to crumble it in small pieces. When browned, using a slotted spoon, remove it to a dish lined with paper towels.
- In the same skillet, save 1 tablespoon of the sausage fat, add the butter and sauté the onions, celery, garlic and apples until soft.
- Combine this mixture and the browned sausage to the soaked bread and mix to combine.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs and add the sour cream, wine, parsley, thyme and pecans (if using).
- Add this mixture to the stuffing. Combine well and season with a pinch of S&P.
- Pour into a (click here to see the best) large lasagna pan, cover with foil and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 1 hour.
This stuffing is really delicious…I guarantee you will love it, too. Chop the apples real small…the flavor is fantastic and no one can guess apples are in the ingredients. Think of adding a layer of this stuffing to your next turkey sandwich, you’ll be glad you did.
Skål…Make something amazing today.
I welcome your feedback and comments below and hope you will “like” and “share”.