While scouring chicken recipes one day to try something different, my pantry fell a little short with ingredients for recipe after recipe. A little frustrated, I decided to make baked chicken…my way and it came out deliciously flavorful and moist. I hope you try it soon.
- Boneless chicken breasts and thighs, no more than 8 total
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 Large garlic heads
- 1/2 cup white Vermouth
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock (see my post “Homemade Chicken Stock” for the recipe.)
- Herbs, if desired, such as Rosemary and Thyme
- Juice of 1 lemon
Roast the garlic: cut off the tops and place each in the center of a piece of aluminum foil. Drizzle olive oil over the tops of each head and sprinkle a bit of salt on top. Then fold the foil up around each and seal tight. Place the little foil packets on a cookie sheet and bake in a 400 degree oven until golden, tender and mushy, about 15-20 minutes. Let cool in the packets while the chicken is baking.
- Place chicken in a baking dish and sprinkle with S&P. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 375 degree oven for about 20 minutes.
- While the chicken is baking, in a saucepan over medium-low heat bring the chicken stock and Vermouth to a low simmer.
- Squeeze out the garlic cloves onto a cutting board and mash with the side of a large knife.
⇒ At this point you can freeze some of this delicious garlic paste to be used later in pasta dishes or to make a quick gravy; a little butter, a little flour, cook & stir for a minute, whisk in garlic paste and chicken stock. Pour over browned boneless chicken breasts and mashed potatoes on the side. Voila! Garlic paste is delicious spread on warm or toasted bread. Try it…you’ll love it and it’s good for you.
- Add the garlic paste to the simmering stock and Vermouth. Add a bit of butter and lemon juice. If desired, add Rosemary and Thyme, about 1 Tbls each.
- Take the chicken out of the oven, pour the sauce over the top and return to the oven to finish cooking, about another 10-15 minutes. If in doubt, cut into the largest breast to insure it’s cooked through.
For another quick and easy chicken dish I know you’ll love, click here Spanish Chicken Casserole and let me know what you think.
Check this out!
I welcome your feedback and comments. Do you have a specific recipe request? I’ll be happy to research and find an answer for you.