Make this quick and easy Apple Blueberry Pie for dessert tonight and enjoy delicious leftovers for the next few days.
- 2 Golden Delicious apples, cored, peeled and cut into a 1/2″ dice
- 16 Ounces fresh blueberries
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 1/4 Cup cornstarch
- 1/2 Tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 Tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- 2 Tbls butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 Tbls sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- In a large bowl, place the blueberries, apples, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, lemon juice and a pinch of salt.
⇒ If desired, add a little fresh lemon zest.
- Gently combine
- Prepare your own homemade pie crusts
⇒ Or…to make this dessert truly quick and easy, use Pillsbury already prepared crusts. This is a major shortcut and makes the entire job of preparing a delicious pie fast and effortless. So, why not…well known chefs regularly use them and you’ve got better things to do with your time!
- Lay one pie crust in the bottom of a deep dish pie plate and fill with the apple/blueberry mixture.
- Dot the top with the cut up butter.
- Carefully lay the top crust over the pie, fold over the edges and fluke with your fingers.
- Whisk the egg with 1 teaspoon water and brush over the entire crust and edges. You won’t be using the entire egg, so don’t worry.
- Make a few slits in the top crust so air can escape and then sprinkle the sugar over the entire crust and edges.
- Place in the oven and bake until hot, bubbly and the crust is golden brown, about 35 minutes. Keep an eye on the crust and if the edges begin to get too browned, cover with foil.
- Let the pie rest at least an hour before serving to let the filling set.
- Serve warm or at room temp. with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or dollop of whipped cream.
⇒ Store leftovers in the refrigerator. There’s nothing like a cold slice of Apple Blueberry pie straight out of the fridge on a hot day.
To learn about all the healthy benefits of this tasty little fruit and to get more great blueberry ideas, click here to read my blog “What are the Best Foods to Eat? Part 6“.
I welcome your comments and feedback below.